GLOVE STORY 2
Advance subscription copies available now!
Glove Story 2 advance copies come with three limited-edition postcards – one of them signed by a legendary keeper. Plus your name will be printed in the back of the book.
Football’s Black Pioneers tells the unique stories of the first black players to represent each of the Football League clubs. With a foreword by Viv Anderson MBE.
The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts showcases 240 groundbreaking classics and all the coolest curios – plus a glimpse into the future of football kit design.
The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is a collector’s treasure trove in catalogue format, packed full of vintage goodies that will inspire a heady swirl of greed, envy and lust.
ALSO: Glove Story is the No.1 book for goalies. Can’t Buy That Feeling is the Best of The Fox Interviews. And Manchester City Folklore explores the club’s mythology.
Gary James’s long-awaited new book, Manchester City Folklore: What Every Blue Needs to Know is now available.
Representing the fruits of six years’ research by the acclaimed Manchester football historian, City Folklore is a must-read for every fan of the club. Packed with colour images, it reveals countless new stories and insights into the mythology of Manchester City.
Manchester City Folklore reveals an incredible array of stories, true Blue moments and characters that helped shape the club. This is City’s DNA, originally researched and mapped by acclaimed historian Gary James.
Based on the popular feature in the official City programme, the book gets right to the heart of the club. Read Manchester City Folklore and you will discover:
- The latest exclusive research into the birth of the club – as told by a witness present at its formation in 1880
- How City chants started – from ‘Blue Moon’ to an anthem based on a ‘60s film
- Why Blue? The significance of City’s first colours and other kits
- The story of the Kippax
- The unique attributes of City’s great captains, comparing every major trophy-winning skipper
- Your own part in the story: records and facts demonstrating the loyalty of City’s fans
- Dozens more nuggets providing insights into City’s great history and status as a Mancunian institution stretching back to the 19th century
Gary James is the author of 16 books on Manchester football, and cares passionately about ensuring City’s story is properly recorded. Gary has been a season ticket holder since 1984, and a programme contributor since 1994.
Do you dream of pulling on a quilted green or Dayglo orange football shirt? Does it make you sigh, just thinking about enormous latex gloves – or of diving in muddy puddles?
If so, this might just be the football book for you.
Glove Story is a visual feast, featuring a unique collection of goalkeeping memorabilia and original illustrations by Doug Nash. Gloves and stars’ shirts from the 60s to date, vintage games and equipment catalogues appear alongside photography covering goalkeeping from park to international level. We’ve put up a few sample pics on the Got Not Got blog.
The book sets out to capture the essence of what it means to be a goalkeeper, shining a light on the concerns and obsessions of everyone who has ever been a member of the Keepers’ Union. We’re talking:
- Exclusive interviews with legendary goalkeepers – memories, tips, stories, plus ‘My First Gloves’
- Games, toys and memorabilia – from Subbuteo and Striker to Tonka and Corinthians
- Features on all the top brands – adidas, uhlsport, reusch, Coffer, Sondico, Sells…
- Secret goalies, from Arthur Conan Doyle and Che Guevara to David Icke
- The evolution of goalkeeping shirts, gloves, boots, training and thinking
- Memories of goalkeeping summer schools
- Fictional, cartoon, stand-in and endorsement-friendly keepers
- The dawn of modern goalkeeping, coaching and development
- The greatest ever saves, quotations, superstitions, blunders and Kids in Kit
- Budgie – and whether Goalkeepers are Crazy, or just Different…
Click here for more details, or to preorder Glove Story for a tenner.
If you’re a fan of the Got, Not Got books, a follower of Rob Stokes and his incredible collection of goalie gloves and memorabilia, or maybe on the lookout for a special birthday present for the goalie in your life, you might like a special Glove Story gift package.
So what do you get for your extra fiver on top of the regular £10 cover price?
- Your copy of the book will be personally dedicated and signed by the authors
- Your own birthday / Father’s Day / Christmas message or greeting can also be added to the title page
- You’ll get an exclusive Glove Story key ring
- And a Glove Story sticker set!
If you’d like to receive a bespoke signed and dedicated Glove Story, you just need to let us know the extra details.
1) Please use the ‘order notes’ field to enter the message you’d like added to the title page, including the name of the recipient.
2) It’s as simple as that!
Happy Christmas, Grandad!
Across Glove Story‘s beautiful endpapers you’ll find 80 of the world’s greatest ever keepers, all captured in unmistakable style by the book’s illustrator, Doug Nash.
Doug is selling posters of his goalie-friendly creations – complete with correct kit, gloves and boots – at his own website, TheArtOfGoalkeeping.com. He offers posters and T-shirts featuring the goalies from the book as well as other shot-stopping stars from many individual clubs.
To celebrate the launch of Glove Story, Doug has created for Conker Editions an exclusive Home International Greats A2 poster, which features his selection of the finest British goalies ever to pull on the hallowed yellow nylon of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. From Banks and Shilton to James and Hart; Pat Jennings and Harry Gregg; Alan Rough, Jim Leighton, Andy Goram; from Leigh Richmond Roose via Gary Sprake to Wayne Hennessey, they’re all lined up for duty. Bring back the Home Internationals!
Who needs wallpaper when you’ve got the chance to collect up giant A2 Art of Goalkeeping goalie posters? Check out the Great British Internationals edition – with added zoom!
Following the lead of author Rob Stokes, all the author royalties from Glove Story will be donated to Willow, the only UK charity supporting seriously ill 16 to 40 years old through Special Days.
This donation represents the collective effort of a whole team of writers, photographers, illustrators, other individuals and businesses involved in the production of the book. Likewise, the book’s illustrator Doug Nash is going to donate a proportion of his Glove Story/Art of Goalkeeping poster sales to the charity.