WE SHIP BOOKS ON THE DAY OF ORDER
Or the following morning at very latest!
“One for nostalgia lovers. Captures ’90s football in all its glory” – that’s what talkSPORT said about Can We Not Knock It? While 101 Manchester City Matchworn Shirts offers a fan-friendly history of the club through its kit. Roy Calley’s new biography of Blackpool FC comes complete with a free limited-edition seaside postcard. Goalies past and present need to catch the GK classics Glove Story and Glove Story 2. Football’s Black Pioneers tells the unique stories of the first black players to represent each of the Football League clubs. The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts showcases 240 groundbreaking classics and all the coolest curios. The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is a collector’s treasure trove in catalogue format, packed full of vintage goodies. Can’t Buy That Feeling is the Best of The Fox Interviews. And Manchester City Folklore explores the club’s mythology.
Richard Johnson’s long-awaited debut, The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts, is already a critically acclaimed cult classic. Check out the feedback on the Must-Read Reviews link above!
Order now from Conker for the regular RRP of £15 you’ll also receive a bonus exclusive set of four limited-edition W&W postcards – you can check them out in the Conker Shop!
From the first woollen jumpers to the latest ultra-light jerseys, football shirts have always been a huge part of a football club’s identity. Seeing your team take the field in their traditional colours instils a great sense of pride in a fan. But what if your heroes ran out looking like the Incredible Hulk, or as if they’d been skinned alive? How about a team of giant hotdogs, or 11 broccoli florets?
The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts showcases one man’s vast collection of the most iconic and unconventional offerings, spanning the 80s to the present day. It offers not only an overview of groundbreaking classics and all the coolest curios but also a glimpse into the future of football kit design.
Featuring countless shirts never before seen in print, here is a connoisseur’s collection of 240 show-stoppers – including the best of the 21st century’s new generation of shirts:
– Perfectly reflects today’s fast-expanding, ever-evolving market for collectable football shirts
– Includes all-time favourites by familiar manufacturers such as Adidas, Hummel, Le Coq Sportif and Puma – as well as their undervalued template shirts, second and third strips
– Jaw-dropping all-over-print design classics from the UK, Europe and all around the world – Peru, Indonesia, the USA, Mexico, the USSR, Japan, Australia and many more
– Unbelievable scratch ‘n’ sniff, rubberised, ‘onesie’ and reversible ‘goal celebration’ shirts
– Rare limited-edition tribute shirts and anniversary kits, one-off commemorative and charity shirts
– The laissez-faire all-over-print revolution, and the looming potential for any club to gain publicity, fans, column inches, sponsors and fast cash from kit sales. It’s the future for football shirts…
Click here to order The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts.
The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is Hammond and Silke’s new vintage football catalogue, packed with tons of fab football stuff and delightful old rubbish from the good old 20th century. It’s a celebration of your mum’s old Kays/Grattans/John Noble flickfest, with sections including Kit, Tech, Food & Drink, Stickers, Clobber, Travel, Progs and more. A visual treat. A collector’s treasure trove. So get your felt pen out now and get ready to circle all your wants and needs! Plus – buy direct from Conker a get a free set of 9 (NINE) football cards
Do you remember the feeling you used to get, poring over the glossy pages of your mum’s mail-order catalogue, craving new football kit, cool games and hot tech? Now you can bask once again in that heady vintage swirl of greed, envy and lust. Don’t miss out on the flash white boots you always longed for. The Subbuteo teams of your dreams are finally within your grasp…
The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is crammed with all the most desirable stuff of the past 50 years – not to mention a liberal sprinkling of delightful old rubbish that was once flogged to wide-eyed soccer kids. Seasoned with bittersweet stories from the lost world of football, its catalogue sections cover everything from must-have football fashions and classic console games to favourite sticker albums and comics.
Big and colourful, hilarious and hypnotic, the Gift Book provides a ready-made Christmas list for optimistic fans, triggering just the same heartfelt yearning as the irresistible Autumn/Winter catalogue of yore. Need! Need! Need!
THE GOT, NOT GOT FOOTBALL GIFT BOOK – Every Fan’s Catalogue of Desires
By Derek Hammond & Gary Silke
A4 Paperback – 168 pages – 30 September 2019
£16 with free set of nine football collector cards
Can’t Buy That Feeling – Inside Leicester City is published on 16 July, and is available now to pre-order. Fully colour illustrated throughout, the book features over 100 star interviews taken from 30 years of The FOX.
Interviewees include Micky Adams, Alan Birchenall, Matt Elliott, Matty Fryatt, David Gibson, Lenny Glover, Muzzy Izzet, Pontus Kaamark, Andy King, Neil Lennon, Ian Marshall, Martin O’Neill, Frank O’Farrell, Sven Goran Eriksson, Jimmy Walsh, Frank Worthington and many more…
The FOX has been interviewing Leicester City players, managers, famous fans and board members for almost three decades, building up a body of work that takes you right into the very fabric of the club, with memories spanning the last 60 years.
As a City fan, you’ve come to know hundreds of players through their performance on the pitch, through potted career biographies and football sticker images. But what about the real characters behind the blue shirt and the back-page reports?
Can’t Buy That Feeling takes you inside Leicester City from the perspective of those who were there – behind the scenes at the long-running soap opera packed with moments of comedy and tragedy, triumph and disaster, silverware and financial ruin.
Read the best of The FOX interviews and you will discover:
- How it feels to score a last-minute winner at Wembley
- Who bore the brunt of Stan Collymore’s fire extinguisher
- How it feels to be a World Cup winner, and axed by Leicester City
- Which City star was run out of his local for moving to Leicester
- The identity of the City player who chased half the Chelsea team down the tunnel
- Players’ big-match memories, their real opinions of their bosses, team-mates and fans…
Gary James’s long-awaited new book, Manchester City Folklore: What Every Blue Needs to Know is now available.
Representing the fruits of six years’ research by the acclaimed Manchester football historian, City Folklore is a must-read for every fan of the club. Packed with colour images, it reveals countless new stories and insights into the mythology of Manchester City.
Manchester City Folklore reveals an incredible array of stories, true Blue moments and characters that helped shape the club. This is City’s DNA, originally researched and mapped by acclaimed historian Gary James.
Based on the popular feature in the official City programme, the book gets right to the heart of the club. Read Manchester City Folklore and you will discover:
- The latest exclusive research into the birth of the club – as told by a witness present at its formation in 1880
- How City chants started – from ‘Blue Moon’ to an anthem based on a ‘60s film
- Why Blue? The significance of City’s first colours and other kits
- The story of the Kippax
- The unique attributes of City’s great captains, comparing every major trophy-winning skipper
- Your own part in the story: records and facts demonstrating the loyalty of City’s fans
- Dozens more nuggets providing insights into City’s great history and status as a Mancunian institution stretching back to the 19th century
Gary James is the author of 16 books on Manchester football, and cares passionately about ensuring City’s story is properly recorded. Gary has been a season ticket holder since 1984, and a programme contributor since 1994.
Do you dream of pulling on a quilted green or Dayglo orange football shirt? Does it make you sigh, just thinking about enormous latex gloves – or of diving in muddy puddles?
If so, this might just be the football book for you.
Glove Story is a visual feast, featuring a unique collection of goalkeeping memorabilia and original illustrations by Doug Nash. Gloves and stars’ shirts from the 60s to date, vintage games and equipment catalogues appear alongside photography covering goalkeeping from park to international level. We’ve put up a few sample pics on the Got Not Got blog.
The book sets out to capture the essence of what it means to be a goalkeeper, shining a light on the concerns and obsessions of everyone who has ever been a member of the Keepers’ Union. We’re talking:
- Exclusive interviews with legendary goalkeepers – memories, tips, stories, plus ‘My First Gloves’
- Games, toys and memorabilia – from Subbuteo and Striker to Tonka and Corinthians
- Features on all the top brands – adidas, uhlsport, reusch, Coffer, Sondico, Sells…
- Secret goalies, from Arthur Conan Doyle and Che Guevara to David Icke
- The evolution of goalkeeping shirts, gloves, boots, training and thinking
- Memories of goalkeeping summer schools
- Fictional, cartoon, stand-in and endorsement-friendly keepers
- The dawn of modern goalkeeping, coaching and development
- The greatest ever saves, quotations, superstitions, blunders and Kids in Kit
- Budgie – and whether Goalkeepers are Crazy, or just Different…
Click here for more details, or to preorder Glove Story for a tenner.