Do you dream of pulling on a quilted green or Dayglo orange football shirt? Does it make you sigh, just thinking about enormous latex gloves – or of diving in muddy puddles?
If so, this might just be the football book for you.
Glove Story is a visual feast, featuring a unique collection of goalkeeping memorabilia and original illustrations by Doug Nash. Gloves and stars’ shirts from the 60s to date, vintage games and equipment catalogues appear alongside photography covering goalkeeping from park to international level. We’ve put up a few sample pics on the Got Not Got blog.
The book sets out to capture the essence of what it means to be a goalkeeper, shining a light on the concerns and obsessions of everyone who has ever been a member of the Keepers’ Union. We’re talking:
- Exclusive interviews with legendary goalkeepers – memories, tips, stories, plus ‘My First Gloves’
- Games, toys and memorabilia – from Subbuteo and Striker to Tonka and Corinthians
- Features on all the top brands – adidas, uhlsport, reusch, Coffer, Sondico, Sells…
- Secret goalies, from Arthur Conan Doyle and Che Guevara to David Icke
- The evolution of goalkeeping shirts, gloves, boots, training and thinking
- Memories of goalkeeping summer schools
- Fictional, cartoon, stand-in and endorsement-friendly keepers
- The dawn of modern goalkeeping, coaching and development
- The greatest ever saves, quotations, superstitions, blunders and Kids in Kit
- Budgie – and whether Goalkeepers are Crazy, or just Different…
Click here for more details, or to preorder Glove Story for a tenner.