GLOVE STORY 2
Out now – with free limited-edition postcards!
Glove Story 2 comes with three free limited-edition postcards when you order from Conker. It’s another irresistible Christmas book for every goalie, past and present.
Football’s Black Pioneers tells the unique stories of the first black players to represent each of the Football League clubs. With a foreword by Viv Anderson MBE.
The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts showcases 240 groundbreaking classics and all the coolest curios – plus a glimpse into the future of football kit design.
The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is a collector’s treasure trove in catalogue format, packed full of vintage goodies that will inspire a heady swirl of greed, envy and lust.
ALSO: Glove Story is the No.1 book for goalies. Can’t Buy That Feeling is the Best of The Fox Interviews. And Manchester City Folklore explores the club’s mythology.
It’s out at last! Glove Story 2 by Rob Stokes, Derek Hammond & Gary Silke.
Order now for the regular RRP of £14 and you won’t just be the first kid on your street to own a copy – you’ll also receive a limited-edition set of three iconic GS2 keeper postcards designed by our illustrator Doug Nash.
Are you, or have you ever been, a goalkeeper? Do you dream of owning the biggest pair of oversize latex gloves in your school, club or local pub? Does the sight of a bulging goal net make you feel distinctly woozy? If so, this may be another football book for you.
Three seasons on since Glove Story made its acclaimed debut, the same crack team of collectors and nostalgics are ready for a big-league comeback. In a lavishly enlarged second edition, Glove Story 2 delves deep into Rob Stokes’ amazing collection of goalkeeping memorabilia – not just hundreds of pairs of rare vintage gloves but also equipment catalogues, games, glovebags, videos and even special football boots for goalies.
This catch-all compendium of keeper culture features shared memories galore, all suffused with GK lore. Like The Godfather 2 and Toy Story 2, Glove Story 2 is a sequel that expands on the original with yet more larger-than-life characters and terrific stories – including the highlights of conversations with over 30 goalkeeping stars. With a foreword by Arsenal & TV sport legend Bob Wilson.
Read Glove Story 2 and you will discover:
• Hundreds of images of rare and vintage goalkeeper memorabilia never before seen in print
• Top keepers’ choices of their greatest inspirations and influences
• Kid gloves – your own snaps of junior shotstoppers at work, and meeting their goalkeeper heroes
• All the great brands – and many more that fell by the wayside
• Plus keeper tips, programmes, stamps, TV keepers, the American Invasion, coaching evolution, goaliemobiles, and adverts with rubbish puns…
Click here to read a selection of the critical praise for Glove Story.
Available now, complete with free limited-edition Pioneers print – only when you buy direct from Conker!
The Stories of the First Black Players to Represent the 92 League Clubs. A new perspective on the lives, careers and experiences of groundbreaking black footballers in England. With a foreword by Viv Anderson MBE.
Ninety-two chapters tell the unique stories of the first black footballers to play for each of the English Football League clubs. Four years of original research have not only identified each of these history makers for the first time in a definitive and permanent record. They have also uncovered a wealth of fascinating, often eye-opening personal tales, which now comprise a collection of rich and hugely varied short stories.
The stories span the period from Arthur Wharton’s debut for Sheffield United in 1885 right up to the present day, covering over 130 years of social history. They include personal interviews with many of the players – including Viv Anderson MBE, Chris Kamara, Tony Ford MBE, Neville Chamberlain and Roland Butcher – and family members of stars from the more distant past.
Football’s Black Pioneers features an incredible variety of emotive human stories and forgotten characters, together with a powerful theme of struggle against now-unthinkable attitudes, and the revelation of countless unexpected historical facts.
Read the stories of the first black players to represent the 92 League Clubs, and you will discover:
• The first black player to represent England at any level (and it isn’t Anderson, Cunningham or Odeje)
• The player who was picked for England and then dropped when the selectors discovered he was black
• The only black Busby Babe
• The footballer/psychologist who served 12 years in a US jail for acid attacks on his wife and her attorney
• The first black player to play for Wales – almost 50 years before Viv Anderson appeared for England
• The clubs that went over 100 years before fielding a black player
• The first black player to play cricket for England, who was also the first black player for a Football League side
• The first Jamaican to play in the First Division, who went on to become a TV personality back in the Caribbean
• The player attributed as the first Australian to play in the Football League – who has no connection whatsoever with that country
• The player who went on to become the first black manager in England
• The player who went on to become a comedian and showbiz personality
• The player who made over 1,000 League appearances (second only to Peter Shilton)
• The player whose career was ended when he was run over by two team-mates
• The family whose origins we have traced back to enslavement in Jamaica that has provided one past and one current England international
Click here for more info on the book and the authors – and to order Football’s Black Pioneers for just £16.
Richard Johnson’s long-awaited debut, The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts, is already a critically acclaimed cult classic. Check out the feedback on the Must-Read Reviews link above!
Order now from Conker for the regular RRP of £15 you’ll also receive a bonus exclusive set of four limited-edition W&W postcards – you can check them out in the Conker Shop!
From the first woollen jumpers to the latest ultra-light jerseys, football shirts have always been a huge part of a football club’s identity. Seeing your team take the field in their traditional colours instils a great sense of pride in a fan. But what if your heroes ran out looking like the Incredible Hulk, or as if they’d been skinned alive? How about a team of giant hotdogs, or 11 broccoli florets?
The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts showcases one man’s vast collection of the most iconic and unconventional offerings, spanning the 80s to the present day. It offers not only an overview of groundbreaking classics and all the coolest curios but also a glimpse into the future of football kit design.
Featuring countless shirts never before seen in print, here is a connoisseur’s collection of 240 show-stoppers – including the best of the 21st century’s new generation of shirts:
– Perfectly reflects today’s fast-expanding, ever-evolving market for collectable football shirts
– Includes all-time favourites by familiar manufacturers such as Adidas, Hummel, Le Coq Sportif and Puma – as well as their undervalued template shirts, second and third strips
– Jaw-dropping all-over-print design classics from the UK, Europe and all around the world – Peru, Indonesia, the USA, Mexico, the USSR, Japan, Australia and many more
– Unbelievable scratch ‘n’ sniff, rubberised, ‘onesie’ and reversible ‘goal celebration’ shirts
– Rare limited-edition tribute shirts and anniversary kits, one-off commemorative and charity shirts
– The laissez-faire all-over-print revolution, and the looming potential for any club to gain publicity, fans, column inches, sponsors and fast cash from kit sales. It’s the future for football shirts…
Click here to order The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts.
The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is Hammond and Silke’s new vintage football catalogue, packed with tons of fab football stuff and delightful old rubbish from the good old 20th century. It’s a celebration of your mum’s old Kays/Grattans/John Noble flickfest, with sections including Kit, Tech, Food & Drink, Stickers, Clobber, Travel, Progs and more. A visual treat. A collector’s treasure trove. So get your felt pen out now and get ready to circle all your wants and needs! Plus – buy direct from Conker a get a free set of 9 (NINE) football cards
Do you remember the feeling you used to get, poring over the glossy pages of your mum’s mail-order catalogue, craving new football kit, cool games and hot tech? Now you can bask once again in that heady vintage swirl of greed, envy and lust. Don’t miss out on the flash white boots you always longed for. The Subbuteo teams of your dreams are finally within your grasp…
The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is crammed with all the most desirable stuff of the past 50 years – not to mention a liberal sprinkling of delightful old rubbish that was once flogged to wide-eyed soccer kids. Seasoned with bittersweet stories from the lost world of football, its catalogue sections cover everything from must-have football fashions and classic console games to favourite sticker albums and comics.
Big and colourful, hilarious and hypnotic, the Gift Book provides a ready-made Christmas list for optimistic fans, triggering just the same heartfelt yearning as the irresistible Autumn/Winter catalogue of yore. Need! Need! Need!
THE GOT, NOT GOT FOOTBALL GIFT BOOK – Every Fan’s Catalogue of Desires
By Derek Hammond & Gary Silke
A4 Paperback – 168 pages – 30 September 2019
£16 with free set of nine football collector cards
Can’t Buy That Feeling – Inside Leicester City is published on 16 July, and is available now to pre-order. Fully colour illustrated throughout, the book features over 100 star interviews taken from 30 years of The FOX.
Interviewees include Micky Adams, Alan Birchenall, Matt Elliott, Matty Fryatt, David Gibson, Lenny Glover, Muzzy Izzet, Pontus Kaamark, Andy King, Neil Lennon, Ian Marshall, Martin O’Neill, Frank O’Farrell, Sven Goran Eriksson, Jimmy Walsh, Frank Worthington and many more…
The FOX has been interviewing Leicester City players, managers, famous fans and board members for almost three decades, building up a body of work that takes you right into the very fabric of the club, with memories spanning the last 60 years.
As a City fan, you’ve come to know hundreds of players through their performance on the pitch, through potted career biographies and football sticker images. But what about the real characters behind the blue shirt and the back-page reports?
Can’t Buy That Feeling takes you inside Leicester City from the perspective of those who were there – behind the scenes at the long-running soap opera packed with moments of comedy and tragedy, triumph and disaster, silverware and financial ruin.
Read the best of The FOX interviews and you will discover:
- How it feels to score a last-minute winner at Wembley
- Who bore the brunt of Stan Collymore’s fire extinguisher
- How it feels to be a World Cup winner, and axed by Leicester City
- Which City star was run out of his local for moving to Leicester
- The identity of the City player who chased half the Chelsea team down the tunnel
- Players’ big-match memories, their real opinions of their bosses, team-mates and fans…