CALLING ALL BLACKPOOL FANS
Get Flat Caps & Tangerine Scarves now!
Advance copies of Roy Calley’s new biography of Blackpool FC are now available, complete with free author-signed Blackpool postcard. Goalkeepers past and present need Glove Story 2, with three free limited-edition postcards – one signed by a GK legend! Football’s Black Pioneers tells the unique stories of the first black players to represent each of the Football League clubs. Foreword by Viv Anderson MBE.
The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts showcases 240 groundbreaking classics and all the coolest curios. The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is a collector’s treasure trove in catalogue format, packed full of vintage goodies that will inspire a heady swirl of greed, envy and lust. Glove Story is the No.1 book for goalies. Can’t Buy That Feeling is the Best of The Fox Interviews. And Manchester City Folklore explores the club’s mythology.
Flat Caps & Tangerine Scarves is author Roy Calley’s long-awaited follow-up to his updated classic, Blackpool: The Complete Record. This brilliantly original, fully illustrated biography of the club is all set for publication on 20 April. [Please note: now due 26 April due to Covid-related postal issues].
But how do you become the first kid on your street to own a copy – before the book reaches the High Street or online bookshops?
An advance copy of Flat Caps & Tangerine Scarves costs the same as a regular copy, but comes with a limited-edition Blackpool postcard, personally signed by the author. Only when you buy from Conker Editions.
Hampson, Matthews, Mortensen, Suddick, Green, Armfield, Ellis and Adam. Smith, Stokoe, Ayre, Grayson and Holloway. Atomic Boys, hooligans, boycotts and homecoming. 1953 and 2010. ‘The best trip’. Blackpool Football Club.
Every fan knows that supporting this club is the much-used cliché ‘rollercoaster ride’. Every success is followed by failure, every moment of hope followed by despair and every dream becomes a nightmare. It’s what being a Blackpool fan is all about. Blackpool supporters are not that different from any others, and the club is not that different either, but there’s something in the fabric of its identity that says that nothing will ever come easily.
Flat Caps & Tangerine Scarves isn’t a history. It’s a biography. A manic dash around the seasons like a stream of consciousness. Getting into the minds of the players, the managers and the supporters of the club that defies normality and embraces controversy and crisis. Quotes, interviews, opinions and unusual stories. Like the Golden Mile, it’s brash and unexpected. Read, recall, argue and agree, but identify as a fan… because We Are Blackpool.
Click here for more information on Flat Caps & Tangerine Scarves – and to order your advance copy for just £15.
The ultimate goalie gift or DIY keeper treat. Shotstoppers need Glove Story 2 by Rob Stokes, Derek Hammond & Gary Silke.
Order now for the regular RRP of £14 and you’ll also receive a limited-edition set of three iconic keeper postcards by GS2 illustrator Doug Nash – one of them personally signed by Phil Parkes, Bob Wilson or Pat Jennings – and a collectable keyring, too!
Are you, or have you ever been, a goalkeeper? Do you dream of owning the biggest pair of oversize latex gloves in your school, club or local pub? Does the sight of a bulging goal net make you feel distinctly woozy? If so, this may be another football book for you.
Three seasons on since Glove Story made its acclaimed debut, the same crack team of collectors and nostalgics are ready for a big-league comeback. In a lavishly enlarged second edition, Glove Story 2 delves deep into Rob Stokes’ amazing collection of goalkeeping memorabilia – not just hundreds of pairs of rare vintage gloves but also equipment catalogues, games, glovebags, videos and even special football boots for goalies.
This catch-all compendium of keeper culture features shared memories galore, all suffused with GK lore. Like The Godfather 2 and Toy Story 2, Glove Story 2 is a sequel that expands on the original with yet more larger-than-life characters and terrific stories – including the highlights of conversations with over 30 goalkeeping stars. With a foreword by Arsenal & TV sport legend Bob Wilson.
Read Glove Story 2 and you will discover:
• Hundreds of images of rare and vintage goalkeeper memorabilia never before seen in print
• Top keepers’ choices of their greatest inspirations and influences
• Kid gloves – your own snaps of junior shotstoppers at work, and meeting their goalkeeper heroes
• All the great brands – and many more that fell by the wayside
• Plus keeper tips, programmes, stamps, TV keepers, the American Invasion, coaching evolution, goaliemobiles, and adverts with rubbish puns…
Click here to read a selection of the critical praise for Glove Story.
Available now, complete with free limited-edition Pioneers print – only when you buy direct from Conker!
The Stories of the First Black Players to Represent the 92 League Clubs. A new perspective on the lives, careers and experiences of groundbreaking black footballers in England. With a foreword by Viv Anderson MBE.
Ninety-two chapters tell the unique stories of the first black footballers to play for each of the English Football League clubs. Four years of original research have not only identified each of these history makers for the first time in a definitive and permanent record. They have also uncovered a wealth of fascinating, often eye-opening personal tales, which now comprise a collection of rich and hugely varied short stories.
The stories span the period from Arthur Wharton’s debut for Sheffield United in 1885 right up to the present day, covering over 130 years of social history. They include personal interviews with many of the players – including Viv Anderson MBE, Chris Kamara, Tony Ford MBE, Neville Chamberlain and Roland Butcher – and family members of stars from the more distant past.
Football’s Black Pioneers features an incredible variety of emotive human stories and forgotten characters, together with a powerful theme of struggle against now-unthinkable attitudes, and the revelation of countless unexpected historical facts.
Read the stories of the first black players to represent the 92 League Clubs, and you will discover:
• The first black player to represent England at any level (and it isn’t Anderson, Cunningham or Odeje)
• The player who was picked for England and then dropped when the selectors discovered he was black
• The only black Busby Babe
• The footballer/psychologist who served 12 years in a US jail for acid attacks on his wife and her attorney
• The first black player to play for Wales – almost 50 years before Viv Anderson appeared for England
• The clubs that went over 100 years before fielding a black player
• The first black player to play cricket for England, who was also the first black player for a Football League side
• The first Jamaican to play in the First Division, who went on to become a TV personality back in the Caribbean
• The player attributed as the first Australian to play in the Football League – who has no connection whatsoever with that country
• The player who went on to become the first black manager in England
• The player who went on to become a comedian and showbiz personality
• The player who made over 1,000 League appearances (second only to Peter Shilton)
• The player whose career was ended when he was run over by two team-mates
• The family whose origins we have traced back to enslavement in Jamaica that has provided one past and one current England international
Click here for more info on the book and the authors – and to order Football’s Black Pioneers for just £16.
Richard Johnson’s long-awaited debut, The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts, is already a critically acclaimed cult classic. Check out the feedback on the Must-Read Reviews link above!
Order now from Conker for the regular RRP of £15 you’ll also receive a bonus exclusive set of four limited-edition W&W postcards – you can check them out in the Conker Shop!
From the first woollen jumpers to the latest ultra-light jerseys, football shirts have always been a huge part of a football club’s identity. Seeing your team take the field in their traditional colours instils a great sense of pride in a fan. But what if your heroes ran out looking like the Incredible Hulk, or as if they’d been skinned alive? How about a team of giant hotdogs, or 11 broccoli florets?
The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts showcases one man’s vast collection of the most iconic and unconventional offerings, spanning the 80s to the present day. It offers not only an overview of groundbreaking classics and all the coolest curios but also a glimpse into the future of football kit design.
Featuring countless shirts never before seen in print, here is a connoisseur’s collection of 240 show-stoppers – including the best of the 21st century’s new generation of shirts:
– Perfectly reflects today’s fast-expanding, ever-evolving market for collectable football shirts
– Includes all-time favourites by familiar manufacturers such as Adidas, Hummel, Le Coq Sportif and Puma – as well as their undervalued template shirts, second and third strips
– Jaw-dropping all-over-print design classics from the UK, Europe and all around the world – Peru, Indonesia, the USA, Mexico, the USSR, Japan, Australia and many more
– Unbelievable scratch ‘n’ sniff, rubberised, ‘onesie’ and reversible ‘goal celebration’ shirts
– Rare limited-edition tribute shirts and anniversary kits, one-off commemorative and charity shirts
– The laissez-faire all-over-print revolution, and the looming potential for any club to gain publicity, fans, column inches, sponsors and fast cash from kit sales. It’s the future for football shirts…
Click here to order The A-Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts.
The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is Hammond and Silke’s new vintage football catalogue, packed with tons of fab football stuff and delightful old rubbish from the good old 20th century. It’s a celebration of your mum’s old Kays/Grattans/John Noble flickfest, with sections including Kit, Tech, Food & Drink, Stickers, Clobber, Travel, Progs and more. A visual treat. A collector’s treasure trove. So get your felt pen out now and get ready to circle all your wants and needs! Plus – buy direct from Conker a get a free set of 9 (NINE) football cards
Do you remember the feeling you used to get, poring over the glossy pages of your mum’s mail-order catalogue, craving new football kit, cool games and hot tech? Now you can bask once again in that heady vintage swirl of greed, envy and lust. Don’t miss out on the flash white boots you always longed for. The Subbuteo teams of your dreams are finally within your grasp…
The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book is crammed with all the most desirable stuff of the past 50 years – not to mention a liberal sprinkling of delightful old rubbish that was once flogged to wide-eyed soccer kids. Seasoned with bittersweet stories from the lost world of football, its catalogue sections cover everything from must-have football fashions and classic console games to favourite sticker albums and comics.
Big and colourful, hilarious and hypnotic, the Gift Book provides a ready-made Christmas list for optimistic fans, triggering just the same heartfelt yearning as the irresistible Autumn/Winter catalogue of yore. Need! Need! Need!
THE GOT, NOT GOT FOOTBALL GIFT BOOK – Every Fan’s Catalogue of Desires
By Derek Hammond & Gary Silke
A4 Paperback – 168 pages – 30 September 2019
£16 with free set of nine football collector cards